Toggle-able HUD

• As someone who likes photography in real life, something that has bugged me about a lot of games is the inability to toggle HUD on or off. Sometimes, I just feel like standing still at a high vantage point to admire the visuals in front of me, maybe even take some screenshots to use as a wallpaper or to share. A toggle on/off HUD would be really great for producing quality screenshots without having to deal with HUD elements that might otherwise ruin the composition of the image. Not to mention for ‘hardcore’ players, they would be able to get an extra challenge from not playing with a HUD, which would certainly be even more interesting if you guys decide to add small details in an FPS view like ammo indicators on the weapons (Republic Commando has this) or animations in the cockpit when pilotting a flying vehicle.
    Thanks!

• The DC-17 Interchangable Weapons System has the ammo counter built in, but many other weapons do not, sadly. A toggle for the HUD shouldn’t be problematic to include. But, just maybe, we will make the HUD so pretty you WANT it in your pictures! [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

• Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I remember that from Republic Commando all those years back. Maybe you could alter the game models of the guns to incorporate visual ammo indicators for all of them, but I don’t know how. They have that kind of system in Metro: Last Light, which is pretty neat. But having a toggleable HUD would be awesome. It’s just hard in general to compose a shot with more foreground elements in it (case in point, the HUD), but having a pretty HUD would certainly help with other forms of marketing (i.e gameplay commentary, gameplay trailers etc)!

If you wanted to see some of my own photos (from IRL), here’s a link to them
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonoawesomeguy/

• Excellent photographs there Jono. Yes, it seems like it would be pretty easy to implment a feature to turn off and on the HUD. I don’t see why not that wouldn’t be implemented.

• Developer

Great photos Jono. Really cool stuff.

About the ammo indicators on weapons. I am not sure but I think that all clone weapons had indicators on the weapons. I don’t remember where i saw it but for sure all of them have area that fit with adding it.Even on the Battlefront games their weapons had some indicators in first person mode.

Now for the Rebels and Empire i don’t think it will work out very good. Maybe for the Empire weapons but it needs serious consideration since they didn’t have it in the movies, although most of the tech if I am not wrong come from very similar manufacturers as during the Clone Wars so it will make sense to be similar. The E-11 I think can have one on the ammo magazine like on the RC game, but for other weapons I am not sure. For Rebels it just doesn’t fit into any of their weapons and the lore that they used not any new tech and everything is many times reused and repaired.

I went too much with this but onto the real topic Trueblade and Altereus already said it ;]

• I would love to see the majority of the HUD off the HUD its self and moved to the person/soldier. When you have some much stuff on the screen you really can’t appreciate the game. PlanetSide 2 has progressively improved its HUD and compressed it as much as possible which is awesome, if you need inspiration I would look at the newer patches.

If you wanted to see some of my own photos (from IRL), here’s a link to them https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonoawesomeguy/

Nice photos! Some of the colors you managed to capture are amazing. The D5100 is a great camera, I have the D3200 and love it. Nikon makes some excellent products (most the lens).

• Developer

I would love to see the majority of the HUD off the HUD its self and moved to the person/soldier. When you have some much stuff on the screen you really can’t appreciate the game. PlanetSide 2 has progressively improved its HUD and compressed it as much as possible which is awesome, if you need inspiration I would look at the newer patches.

Well the thing is that in such type of games you want the information you need to be accessed quickly and sometimes the fastest way is to have it on the HUD and if you need to have less info either switch to a second hud that has only like ammo and the health of the player or turn it off completely.

I saw the Planetside 2 and it has 2 huds. Do you mean the one that is centered around the middle of the screen with bars around the crosshair?If you could post a picture of which one you mean would be nice.But If thats the one I find it actuallly more distracting than the other hud they have and it takes the area that the player should see everything clearly. Don’t know how others find it.

• Thanks for that response Sharky,

Now for the Rebels and Empire i don’t think it will work out very good. Maybe for the Empire weapons but it needs serious consideration since they didn’t have it in the movies, although most of the tech if I am not wrong come from very similar manufacturers as during the Clone Wars so it will make sense to be similar. The E-11 I think can have one on the ammo magazine like on the RC game, but for other weapons I am not sure. For Rebels it just doesn’t fit into any of their weapons and the lore that they used not any new tech and everything is many times reused and repaired.

I’m pretty happy that I got any response at all, let alone an in-depth one. I don’t actually know much about Star Wars lore, so if ammo indicators affect the visual continuity of the game for the Empire and Rebels, then I don’t really think anyone would be mad if you left them out for them.

But if you could find a work-around and have it successfully integrated, then it’s a bonus for everyone. Maybe something subtle like having the muzzleflash or gunsmoke change in colour as the clip empties? That’s one way of doing it.

Though thanks for considering my idea to begin with :)

Nice photos! Some of the colors you managed to capture are amazing. The D5100 is a great camera, I have the D3200 and love it. Nikon makes some excellent products (most the lens).

Thanks for the compliment! I’m actually using quite stock equipment with my camera (i.e using the 18-55mm kit lens with a generic UV filter), but I plan on getting better lenses in the future. My camera is currently a fifth through its lifecycle (20,000+ shutter count) so the real conflict is not knowing whether to continue buying into the APS-C sensor gear, or just stick with the stock stuff and once the camera breaks, move onto full-frame instead.

I’m not sure where you’re at with photography, but here are just some of my tips for taking photos:

-To get great colours and photos at night, don’t be afraid of using higher ISOs and using higher shutter speeds where possible. Try and find the lowest shutter speed at which you can take shake-free photos (surprisingly enough, I’ve been able to go down to 1/6-8th of a second without shaky photos) and utilise that whenever you can. VR (vibration-reduction) lenses actually help out magnitudes with that. My photo of a Venetian canal at night was taken without flash at ISO 3200 with 1/8 shutter speed, though admittedly enough, I achieved it through luck more than anything else. Taking photos on a gondola at night is very difficult.

• Don’t be afraid of processing photos, but know when to hold back. I used to be a bit scared when it came to processing because I thought it was a way of ‘cheating’ your photos to look better, but then I realised that photos have always been processed from the very beginning so its actually completely acceptable. However you need to know when to hold back in relation to what you want to depict or express. Having lots of colour is not necessarily always a good thing, so don’t be afraid to turn down contrast and saturation where you feel fit.

Sorry if this bit is a bit off-topic. There isn’t a PM system so I didn’t know how else to handle this reply

• Is it possible to view the helmet in the first person? Such as in the Republic comandos.

user interface 3
Views